So, a week ago I sat at my computer and declared that I was joining the LOSINGIT ladies. It was a hard post to write, but wrote it I did. And, even better, I’ve been working on it!!
First, I want to thank all of you for all your sweet comments. It’s awesome to be joining some amazing ladies as we work to become healthier moms. I’ve read all of your comments several times over the week, especially when I was having a rough day.
Here’s where I am on my goals:
1. 8 glasses of water a day – NO PROBLEM. Hit it every day. I tweeted sometime during the week that I was having more trouble with how often the water was coming out than with actually getting 8 glasses in. I was going to try and drink just water and did for most of the week. There were one or two glasses of UNSWEET tea however.
2. One sweet treat a day – I thought I would need this concession. However, I haven’t had a sweet treat every day. Really? Can you believe it? I think it’s the power of knowing that if I need it, it’s there. We had a snow day on Tuesday, and I made chocolate chip cookies and hot cocoa for the Princess and her friend. I didn’t drink any hot cocoa (which is huge as I love it) but did let myself have two cookies warm from the oven. The rest of the days it wasn’t really too much of a struggle not to have sweets.
3. Nothing Deep Fried – NO PROBLEM. Not even a french fry. Oh no, wait, I had potato chips when I went out to lunch on Thursday. Are those actually deep fried? Darn, I thought I had made it. Well, I didn’t have any Chick-fil-a. I didn’t get fries all week. So, I consider it done.
4. Exercise of some kind 4 out of 7 days – HERE IS THE PROBLEM! I didn’t exercise at all. Not once. NADA. Zip. Zilch. **sigh** Exercise is my nemesis. I could come up with TONS of excuses, but that’s what they would be, excuses. My Sweetie kindly offered to show me how to use the treadmill. (Yes, we have one. No, I’ve NEVER been on it. And it folds up. Makes me nervous.) I have always found a reason excuse not to get on the treadmill.
It’s obvious what I need to work on for this week. Not obvious to you? Really? Did you read #4?
The plan for this week is to add some exercise. The Princess came home from school Thursday all excited about exercise. Apparently the lady from Wellstar had been to her class that day and told them all about healthy eating and exercise. She told me that she needed more whole grains please and that she needed to exercise more. She then proceeded to do sit-ups and push-ups while I read to her. I’m thinking if she keeps doing that, I just need to do it with her!
Things that have helped me this week:
1. The LOSE IT app on my iPhone. It is FREE! and works really well for keeping track of my calories. I told it what I wanted to lose per week, and it decided how many calories I could have. It’s got a search function that has most foods I eat listed with their calories. For some reason, counting the actual calories is working better for me better than counting points ever did.
2. Refillable Water Bottle – I know how many ounces it holds, and I just keep filling it all day.
3. Cantaloupe – I cut up some cantaloupe and then put a cup of it out on the counter after lunch. I don’t like my fruit to be too cold, so it gets just the right temperature as I wander into the kitchen to nibble. Rather than grabbing something unhealthy, I eat a few chunks of cantaloupe. It’s nice and sweet and hits the spot.
4. My Sweetie – He has cheered me on all week, and I REALLY appreciate it. Like REALLY, REALLY!
So here’s the HUGE news. I‘m down 3% of my body weight!!! I am so excited. That’s just counting calories and not adding exercise yet. I wonder what’s going to happen when I add in the exercise?
I’m looking forward to reading how the rest of the LOSINGIT! ladies are doing over on Giving Up On Perfect today. I can’t wait to cheer them on!