So, a week ago I sat at my computer and declared that I was joining the LOSINGIT ladies. It was a hard post to write, but wrote it I did. And, even better, I’ve been working on it!!
First, I want to thank all of you for all your sweet comments. It’s awesome to be joining some amazing ladies as we work to become healthier moms. I’ve read all of your comments several times over the week, especially when I was having a rough day.
Here’s where I am on my goals:
1. 8 glasses of water a day – NO PROBLEM. Hit it every day. I tweeted sometime during the week that I was having more trouble with how often the water was coming out than with actually getting 8 glasses in. I was going to try and drink just water and did for most of the week. There were one or two glasses of UNSWEET tea however.
2. One sweet treat a day – I thought I would need this concession. However, I haven’t had a sweet treat every day. Really? Can you believe it? I think it’s the power of knowing that if I need it, it’s there. We had a snow day on Tuesday, and I made chocolate chip cookies and hot cocoa for the Princess and her friend. I didn’t drink any hot cocoa (which is huge as I love it) but did let myself have two cookies warm from the oven. The rest of the days it wasn’t really too much of a struggle not to have sweets.
3. Nothing Deep Fried – NO PROBLEM. Not even a french fry. Oh no, wait, I had potato chips when I went out to lunch on Thursday. Are those actually deep fried? Darn, I thought I had made it. Well, I didn’t have any Chick-fil-a. I didn’t get fries all week. So, I consider it done.
4. Exercise of some kind 4 out of 7 days – HERE IS THE PROBLEM! I didn’t exercise at all. Not once. NADA. Zip. Zilch. **sigh** Exercise is my nemesis. I could come up with TONS of excuses, but that’s what they would be, excuses. My Sweetie kindly offered to show me how to use the treadmill. (Yes, we have one. No, I’ve NEVER been on it. And it folds up. Makes me nervous.) I have always found a reason excuse not to get on the treadmill.
It’s obvious what I need to work on for this week. Not obvious to you? Really? Did you read #4?
The plan for this week is to add some exercise. The Princess came home from school Thursday all excited about exercise. Apparently the lady from Wellstar had been to her class that day and told them all about healthy eating and exercise. She told me that she needed more whole grains please and that she needed to exercise more. She then proceeded to do sit-ups and push-ups while I read to her. I’m thinking if she keeps doing that, I just need to do it with her!
Things that have helped me this week:
1. The LOSE IT app on my iPhone. It is FREE! and works really well for keeping track of my calories. I told it what I wanted to lose per week, and it decided how many calories I could have. It’s got a search function that has most foods I eat listed with their calories. For some reason, counting the actual calories is working better for me better than counting points ever did.
2. Refillable Water Bottle – I know how many ounces it holds, and I just keep filling it all day.
3. Cantaloupe – I cut up some cantaloupe and then put a cup of it out on the counter after lunch. I don’t like my fruit to be too cold, so it gets just the right temperature as I wander into the kitchen to nibble. Rather than grabbing something unhealthy, I eat a few chunks of cantaloupe. It’s nice and sweet and hits the spot.
4. My Sweetie – He has cheered me on all week, and I REALLY appreciate it. Like REALLY, REALLY!
So here’s the HUGE news. I‘m down 3% of my body weight!!! I am so excited. That’s just counting calories and not adding exercise yet. I wonder what’s going to happen when I add in the exercise?
I’m looking forward to reading how the rest of the LOSINGIT! ladies are doing over on Giving Up On Perfect today. I can’t wait to cheer them on!
Woah, Kathy! That’s fantastic! 3% is FANTASTIC!!
Just wait until you add exercise…I never thought I would be one of “those” people who actually liked it. I mean, hello…I’m about as un-athletic as it gets. But I’ve found that I LOVE it and I MISS it when I don’t get it in. I still can’t believe that those words come out of my mouth. (Or my fingers.) 🙂
Just for a little extra dose of inspiration…here is a post a friend of mine wrote that was featured on a weight-loss website recently. I’m SO proud of her…she’s lost 100 pounds this year and even though I don’t have that much to lose, I’m still so inspired by her. Anyway, when I’m having a rough day I go check out her post and find so much encouragement! When you get to the page, scroll down until you get to a “Success Story” about Valerie–there’s a before and after pic and then her essay.
So impressed with your progress this week! Way to go!!
What a great story! Thanks for sharing that!
Yay for 3% lost!!
I have been using Lose It on my iPhone too and I am really liking it too! Now if only I could fund an app that would exercise for me, too… 😉
YAY!! Great job! And like you said, sure you might have eaten something you didn’t plan on but if you made a better choice than you would have “before” then you’re ahead! Great job!!
So so so Proud of you!!!!!
Hip Hip Hooray! That is a fabulous achievement. And contolling the nibbling is MUCH harder to do when you work from home.
Now, about the Princess. More whole grains – that I have to see! Does she know they come in so many items she refuses to eat?
Keep up the good work for a healthier Mommy.
Great job, Kathy! I imagine the accountablility of your blog helped during those times of temptation. You have the strength and focus to pull this off. Can’t wait to see you in June!
June is not that far off! CRAZY! So glad you guys are coming down!
Wow! That’s fantastic. It’s so encouraging to have a good week, isn’t it? Keep it up!
Wow! 3% is amazing, especially with no exercise. Keep up the great work and keep that body moving! Your daughter is a wonderful inspiration. 🙂
Congrats on your accomplishment!! Your doing great! keep it up!
Don’t think of exercise as like punishment or torture.. find something you enjoy, maybe its a walk, maybe it’s tennis, maybe its raquetball, or volleyball, or running, or triathlons, or cycling.. but there has to be something thats not so bad..
P.S. give it a go for at least 2 weeks before you say you hate it! 🙂
TWO WEEKS!!! Tee hee… I’m sure I’ll find something. Just gotta find that special thing.
3% is really great. It helps me when I eat something now to know what it is doing for the inside of my body since the last few months have been all about improving our insides. It is the way I look at exercise too. We want to be around for a lot longer so we can see you all grow too. Love Dottie
Great job! I’ve found that allowing for one sweet treat a day keeps me going. If I were to take it out completely than I over do it. I make an allowance in my daily calories for my sweet treat. I look forward to it every day, know it’s “special”, and don’t over do it anywhere else. I also hate exercise but have found that once I force myself into it my body starts getting used to it then I kinda look forward to it.
If it helps start out with 10 or 15 minutes on the treadmill and know that’s all you have to do. Then gradually move up in 5 minute increments. I was moving up in one MINUTE increments on my elliptical-lol.
Good luck and keep up the good work!
And, how cute is your daughter with the whole grains thing! lol
Thanks for the encouragement. She didn’t want me to exercise with her today. We’ll see tomorrow!
That is so encouraging!! Way to go! I’ve gotta kick myself in gear for the exercise portion too, but we’re all winners in that we’re each making healthy choices each day. 3% is awesome! Keep up the good work, I’m cheering you on.
Congratulations!! You’re doing so well! You’re the second person to mention that Losing It app. If only I had an iPhone to put it on… 🙂
And cantaloupe? YUM!!!
I really like the idea of setting goals for each week. And great job on the 3%!
WAY TO GO!!! That’s AMAZING! The exercise thing is tough but when you find your “soul mate workout” you will actually look forward to it! There are SO MANY amazing home workouts out there…I haven’t stepped foot in the gym since I found my fave home workouts!
Pingback: Losing It!: Update 03.12.10 « h o u s e o f h i l l s